Sunday, May 03, 2009

Genetic Testing Results

I went to my cardiologist for my 6 mo. checkup on Tuesday. I'm doing very well and don't have to go back for another 6 mo. Doc just received the results of my genetic testing for the gene that would pass on Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy to my children and grandchildren, and from how he is reading the results....my HCM is not familial and my family is 'unlikely' to get this heart disease. He still is in favor of them getting periodic echocardiograms however. It also appears that I did not get this heart disease from my father who died at the age of 42 from a heart attack. It was assumed that I inherited HCM from him since he died so young but now it appears that isn't the case. I asked my Doc if I didn't get the gene from my Dad....then how did I get HCM? He doesn't know. Says I must have a mutant gene. I don't really understand this but I'm extremely relieved that I won't be passing this heart disease on to my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments but PLEASE - NO SPAMMING