Friday, November 23, 2007

Legs

While we were on our driving trip to the Chicago area a couple weekends ago, Tom spots a billboard along the Indiana Turnpike that read 'Nice Legs'. He said Nice Legs outloud, and I said 'huh?' and he pointed to the billboard that showed different furniture legs. It wasn't what I expected and laughed. He then said ' you have nice legs too'. I think my jaw about dropped down in my lap. 'Huh'?

You have nice legs. We've been married 34 years and he's NEVER EVER told me that. Really took me by surprise. Now, my mother used to tell me that, lol. I always thought my legs were too skinny. Skinny ankles, shapeless calves, thighs too heavy. I didn't think they were all in proportion, and I still don't. However, if Tom thinks I have nice legs, then I'm a happy camper.

Back in 1968 when I was a freshman in highschool there was this group of older guys who would sit on a wall and watch all the girls go by. Everytime I walked past them ( I had to to get to where I was going or I wouldn't have ) they'd sing this litty ditty from a song by Joe Tex that was called Skinny Legs And All.

Now, Who'll take the woman with the skinny legs?C'mon somebody please take the lady with the skinny legs.Now, you all know the lady with the skinny legs got to have somebody too, now. Will somebody please take the lady with the skinny legs, please?


Needless to say, I was very self conscious about my legs from that point on.

That was when my mom told me I had very nice legs and she was sincere, not just trying to make me feel better. I guess it helped a bit, because I didn't try to hide them, I wore mini-skirts just like everyone else at the time.


It wasn't until our oldest daughter got married in 1996 that I actually realized my legs weren't half as bad as I imagined them to be. We had a video recorder taping the wedding, and when we watched the tape, where the parents were being introduced, my mom says "see! I told you, you have nice legs!" I was walking down an aisle in the reception hall alongside Tom and I 'did' have nice legs. They weren't bad. They weren't great, but they weren't bad. Even then though, Tom never said anything about my legs, good nor bad. That is why I was so surprised to hear it from his lips 11 years later and 50 pounds heavier. Now THAT'S love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments but PLEASE - NO SPAMMING