Saturday, January 17, 2009

Pacemaker & Sleep Study

I learned on Thursday evening of last week that a lead in my pacemaker is 'fractured' and isn't pacing my heart. I had to go into the Dr's office ( Cardiac Electrophysiology) on Monday for tests and the defibrillator was turned off temporarily and pacemaker set to pace automatically until I can have the lead replaced. That will be in two more days. It will be an overnight hospital stay. Then I'll be all rewired and good as new again.

This morning was my follow up appointment with the Sleep Study Center. I'd been having problems with the nose mask - air leakage and a feeling much like claustrophobia where I can't keep the mask on for more than 3-4 hours and I feel like someone or something is sitting on my face and I can't breathe - even though there is more than plenty of air being forced in through the mask. I was given a nose pillow mask to try out for 2 weeks to see if that was any better. I had to try it on in the office, and Lordy, Lordy but that doesn't feel much better, LOL but I'll give it a go.
I really and truly need some good sleep!!!!

The sleep doctor told me I have a deviated septum, and that could be the reason I keep getting the claustrophobic reaction to the mask. If I continue to experience this problem, he said I should consider surgery ( septoplasty) to correct the deviation. He also told me the roof of my mouth is 'very high' and that cannot be fixed - and is part of the reason why my tongue has no where to go when I'm sleeping and is causing the obstruction. The tongue relaxes and falls back into my throat. GROSS!!!!!!!!

So...what are my options?

1 Continue with the CPAP machine and masks
2 Surgery to correct deviated septum
3 Dental appliance that will help keep the airway open during sleep by pulling tongue forward when sleeping ( insurance does not cover this and can cost upwards of $2,000)
4 Somnoplasty: A minimally invasive procedure to reduce the soft tissue in the upper airway.
5 Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP): A procedure that removes soft tissue on the back of the throat and palate, increasing the width of the airway at the throat opening.

I hope this darned CPAP machine does the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments but PLEASE - NO SPAMMING