Sunday, May 06, 2007

Defibilator Problem

Recently I received a Latitude Communicator from Guidant. It's a machine that is plugged into my phone and sits on a table next to my bed. There's a light that will flash when it's time for me to put the 'wand' over my defibilator and the communicator sends the signals to Latitude who in turn sends the results to my Electrophysiologist ( he's the Dr. who implanted the ICD Unit).
My first *test* with the unit was on May 2nd. It's called interrogating. It's done every Thursday. On the 3rd I got a call from the Dr.'s office saying that there is a 'shock impedence' with one of the leads - in the high range- and I need to go to the hospital on Monday. They are going to sedate me and then shock my heart ( put in in Rythym she said) to make sure the defib is working correctly.
If it isn't, they have to open me up again and fix some screw or something. Damn Damn Damn. *lol* I was hoping I'd seen the last of a surgery room for a looooooong looooooong time. They are not going to be able to open me up on Monday though as I'm still on Coumadin ( a blood thinner ). I'll find out Monday whether I'll need the 'surgery' or not and when it will be. I would have to get off the Coumadin and not sure how long, a few days? A week? Longer?
At least I will get to go home the same day. It's good though that there are units like this communicator to keep check on those of us who have these implants. Wouldn't be good if I went into sudden cardiac arrest and my defib didn't work. Gotta do what ya gotta do.


technaroti tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted by Neenee :
kklprimitives
The Krazy Kraft Lady Blog
Menopausal Monster Blog
KKL Graphics Blog
KKL Kreations Blog
KKL Kreations2
Contributing editor of:
Primitive Times Magazine - free online magazine
Primitive Times Magazine Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments but PLEASE - NO SPAMMING